Welcome To

Rural Municipality of Souris West

The next regular meeting of the Souris West Council
June 12, 2024
6:30 p.m.
at the Souris Access PEI Boardroom - 15 Green St. Souris PE
Everyone is Welcome!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The new municipal office hours:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Suite 202B - McPhee Mall, Souris

What is our role as a Municipality?

The Municipalities Act in 1983 converted the existing CICs (Community Improvement Committees), including the “Community of Souris West”. In 2017 the “Community of Souris West” became the “Rural Municipality of Souris West”; being the oldest incorporated CIC on PEI since 1972.

Prior to 1972 community meetings were called “Farm Forums” and individuals took turns hosting the committee. A radio program hosted by Hartwell Daily was listened to and a highlight of the meeting.

Section 13, 14., of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) under “Municipal Services, general” – provides that every municipality established under this Act, shall provide in or for all areas of the municipality;

  1. Fire Protection
  2. Emergency Measures Planning


At the December 1st and 6th 2021 Souris West Council Meetings the Municipal Emergency Management Program Bylaw was read, approved and adopted.

At both of these meetings an “Inter-Municipal Agreement Bylaw” was also approved. The purpose of this agreement allows the RMSW to enter into an agreement with the Town of Souris PEI to provide the following Emergency Measures Services:

  1. Provide Residents of Souris West access to the Town of Souris Reception Centre – “Eastern Kings Sportsplex” located at 203 Main St., Souris PE C0A 2B0
  2. Any fees associated with the use of the Town of Souris Reception Centre by the residents of Souris West will be reimbursed by the RMSW.

Community Details

Find your community by-laws, council meeting minutes and the agenda.


Its Your Community .. have your say!
To have matters of interest put before the Council, please contact the CAO for matters such as:


> requesting the opportunity to speak to the Council
 > bringing municipal issues to the Council’s attention
   > requesting information on Council activities or budgets
> making a request for grant funding 


Fire Services

Currently, Souris West purchases fire protection services from the Town of Souris. These services consist of:

  • 6 trucks; pumper – forest/brush fire – rescue
  • Off road rescue vehicle – utility trailer – rescue boat
  • New for 2022 a custom pumper truck
  • Support services for EMS and RCMP when needed
  • 30 Volunteer Firemen – fully trained
  • Mutual agreement with neighbouring departments for assistance with structural fires
  • They meet every Monday – 1st Monday is a meeting, the other 3 Mondays are spent training and/or maintaining equipment

Your Emergency Plan websites:

Government of Canada: www.GetPrepared.ca

Environment Canada: www.ec.gc.ca

The Canadian Hurricane Center:  http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurricanes

Souris Fire Department Badge

About Us: History

Who Are WE?

A little about us...

Souris West was incorporated in 1976 containing the Locality of Souris West and part of the Locality of Rollo Bay.

In the mid nineteenth century, the settlements at the mouth of Souris River , which flows into Colville Bay, were called Souris East in Lot 45 and Souris West in Lot 44.

The generally accepted belief is that the name Souris , which is French for mouse, is a relic of the grim plagues of mice which devastated the crops of the early inhabitants.

Today Souris West has a population of around 380 people. We have a beautiful school along with restaurants and lodgings with views that can’t be beat anywhere!

Old Map of Souris West
ArcLight Ship Built in Souris West
The Arclight was built in Souris West in 1898 and registered the same year. Her tonnage was 102.65 with a 91 foot keel. The vessel was 27.5 feet wide amidships and the depth of her hold 8.8 feet.
Delight Ship Built in Souris West
Delight was built at Souris West in 1894. This ship in the right of the photo had a registered tonnage of 109.4 with a keel of 85 feet. The width amidship was 23.9 feet and the depth of the hold 9.2 feet. It was registered June 26, 1894.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Scroll to Top